Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Battle


Love is a battlefield, your mind is a battlefield, and there are so many other areas in life that we talk about as being the grounds for war. But, spiritual warfare is something that engages all of you, knowingly or not.  I love the analogy of the moose preparing for battle in the off-season by eating right and growing their antlers so that when they do fight, the one who wins is the moose who took care of himself the best in preparation.  I agree with this principle and know for myself that my greatest battles have been won in the comfort of my own home, or car. And I was alone with Jesus only. I have been delivered from many things in the presence of pastors and leaders, but those were usually stepping stones and much smaller battles comparing to the great wars I fought in my weakest moments. I think it was certainly planned by my enemy for me to fall because the attacks did come when I was lonely, and already down.  It was in these times the fight to believe Jesus saves, was the most prevalent. The fight was for my faith in Him.  Then when the outwardly physical junk piled up and circumstances seemed bleak at best, my strength was already established in Him and I had nothing to fear - I knew it would be okay and He had His best in mind for me. He had it.  

I remember the time Pastor Robert uncovered  birds in the bible stand for demons... I always hated birds and have been even scared of them (I think because my mom allowed me to see the Alfred Hitchcock movie about them when I was young).  But this insight really got me thinking in so many ways. For example, have you ever heard of the sayings "the little bird told me," or "the little bird carried the news?"  I'm convinced that "little birds" of the air - in the spiritual - do fly around gathering information, curses and accusations.  I believe the voices we hear so often are indeed these creatures going about their business to steal, kill and destroy as they are told by the one they serve. It is in our homes, when we are alone and vulnerable that we say the strangest things and believe the lies we hear.  We may be looking at a photo or a video of someone and hear a negative remark and become caught in a unending web of lies and deceit.  When we dare to judge others, their motives and their actions as only God can, we invite the birds in.

Furthermore, in your bedchamber do not curse a king, and in your sleeping rooms do not curse a rich man, for a bird of the heavens will carry the sound and the winged creature will make the matter known. Eccl.10:20


These private battles are many and they repeat often.  When we allow ourselves to be defeated in these battles, the wars in our circumstances are next to impossible. I get why we should always take our thoughts captive to the mind of Christ.  Not doing so leaves us to our own interpretations of what the birdies tell us, or even what we come up on our own without any help from the enemy. I think about how hard the battles have been and how at the moments after my greatest trials - I was most susceptible for great deception, and more vulnerable for negative seeds to be planted.  On my own I finally walk upright because I have won, knowing I can barely stand up because I am so bruised and beaten. But then - the enemy knocks me down again, using this strategic time to implant more lies and mask them as truth.

I just heard this in a sermon too (Pastor Morris I think) - talking about how Eve heard truth from God but disregarded it to believe the serpent. She had a choice to trust God, yet instead she trusted the devil. She heard God's voice but it wasn't enough, because she was more mesmerized by a talking snake to believe it! DUH! Call it the forbidden, illegal, or prohibited - for some stupid reason these words get our curiosity even today, and we fall into traps daily because we think we're missing out on something better or more fun. We sneak around, try illegal substances, or even as dumb as leave our phone on, when the sign clearly says to turn it off.  We sneak drinks, snacks and cameras in places we shouldn't, just to see what happens and to maybe get some short-lived satisfaction and get away with breaking the law.  As little as these things may seem, even the smallest act of disobedience in order to exercise our own wills, is the same as eating of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.  we do what we want and pay later. (just reminded me of the "no-wait," "I deserve it," "what would it hurt," and "I'll deal with the consequences later," principle we practice in using our credit cards). The more we eat off the wrong tree, the harder our life is. The more we eat of the Tree of Life, the Holy Spirit which is in us, and allow the Resurrection and the Life to direct us, the more freedom we experience.  I want to live in the garden of Eden and obey God because I know His will for me is good. He never meant for Eve to experience death, and the roots of evil - He wanted her to live forever in bliss He created for her.  Disobeying the voice of His Spirit, and His guidance, only leads me to a life of poverty and frustration. I want to live as He created me to, not as I think best - because even my best is nowhere close to what He has in mind for me.  I can only experience true joy by relying on Him and trusting my Savior!

And so, instead of listening to the "little birds of the air" I will trust my Creator and listen to His voice.  LORD, help me discern Your voice from the enemy's each time so that I know the path to righteousness which is only through You! 

No comments:

Post a Comment