Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Jesus



In Jesus' Name I pray, amen.  So easy to say and so common, almost. Why have we reduced His power - this power that comes through His Name, because of repetition and tradition?  Why is it common to say but hard to believe? We think (or at least I have) if we just add that phrase at the end of our prayers, we have completed it somehow and done our duty.  But what if it's so much more? What if the power of this name - Jesus- is much more? What if He is so much more?

I have struggled a lot through the years with faith.  I think the worst part of it is that I have placed the faith on me.  Even when I pray for more faith and to change my unbelief, I am wanting something to change in me. I am still the focus.  If I just receive that I already have the measure of faith I've already been given and that's active in me - and that The Holy Spirit gave me a special kind of faith as well (especially in critical times), I would never have to pray for more faith. If I lacked belief, I would just ask Jesus to help my unbelief, knowing I cannot do it on my own. Not like I have done in the past - prayed for help in my unbelief and then set out to pray, read, go join a study, watch or listen to some sermons and throw in some worship. Then because I did this - I should have more faith, right? I have practiced His presence. No - I already possessed all the faith before. I just did not know how to exercise it. I left a part for me to play.  But if I just believe God - that HE IS FAITHFUL, then He credits this to me as righteousness.  I am not to try to have more faith, but believe that I already have all I need, along with every spiritual blessing in Christ. Including faith.  It's belief that He is faithful. Belief that He is able. Belief that He is willing. Belief that He wants to. Belief that He can. Belief that He wont wait. Belief that He is for me.  Then when I pray for Him to help my unbelief, it's actually to believe that HE CAN and He will, and not me.

Whether belief and faith are one in the same - I have not fully researched - but I know in the Christian circles, they are not. At least the words we use behind what we do, do not equal to what God has intended. We use faith too nonchalantly; and it's also one of those words that has many, many meanings, in many, many "faiths" of the world.  In the dictionary definitions, I like that faith is a complete trust. But then, as I read on, some of the other definitions, ones I think a lot of the world has adapted instead are: allegiance to duty, or a person, sincerity of intentions, belief in something for which there is NO proof, beliefs in the traditional doctrines of religion, etc.  Sounds uncertain, conditional, and like there is some work/duty required on my part.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (Hebrews 11:1)

Reading the Lexicon (blueletterbible.org) and translating faith from this verse into the Greek we get something like this: 
1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
a) relating to God
1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
b) relating to Christ
1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
c) the religious beliefs of Christians
d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
2) fidelity, faithfulness
a) the character of one who can be relied on

Now: I looked up dictionary definitions of belief:  state of mind where confidence or trust is placed on some person or thing; conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence!!!!!

Last time I checked, if you have evidence - there is no need for faith. And if the original text meant for faith and belief to be synonyms, we have once again thwarted this to fit our lifestyles and our own lack of faith. 


In the Lexicon and the original Greek, the word "belief" has identical meaning and definitions as previously shown describing faith in the same Lexicon. It seems, they started out as the same but we have changed the meanings of these two words over time and translations. 


Now - back to the Name above all names: relationship comes first. If I use the bank card in my husband's name, its because I know I am authorized by him, and he wont mind.  I'm not saying I am Daniel, but I am taking care of business and personal affairs as his wife.  As if he placed a signet ring on my hand and allowed me to rule as he would. (ha - Dan did) If I sign a card, send wishes over e-mail or pay bills in his name, I do this because I know I am authorized by him to speak on His behalf as long as I am staying in his will (meaning I'm using my head and allowing to be guided into righteousness and not signing off his retirement to a stranger without talking with him first, not including curses against anyone on his behalf, or charging thousands of dollars for a dress I plan on wearing to a baby shower, etc.). Knowing Daniel so well, I know what would push the envelope and what things I do need to discuss with him first. Most of what I do in his name and on his behalf, I am sure is fine, because I know him and his will. I'm simply being his other half and enjoying the privledges and authority.


Now, the same can be said about Jesus. If we know Him intimately and know His will, we are free to do 90% of the work simply by exercising this faith in us and belief that He would want us to do this; because He said to seek first he Kingdom of God and we would be bringing this Kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. For the other 10% of the time, we will feel uneasy or unsure, and that nudge by His Spirit will lead us to ask Him what to do.  We should seek His perfect will, and fast, pray or whatever we feel lead to do in order to bring about His will.  I think the percentages may vary through time, but mostly we should go about our Father's business without fear or holding back. He has placed His seal in us. We are His. 


First belief He exists, and He rewards those who earnestly seek Him. Then relationship and intimate knowledge that I am rewarded by having all authority through Him.  "Like, my Daddy owns all this and all power is His - I'm praying all sickness go away in Jesus Name, and so be it."  Something like that. :) What we're missing is not more faith, but the knowledge of Him. We are settling for works instead of an intimate relationship with Him through which we will be assured of who He is and who we are. Without doubt. Without fear or apprehension. The more I know Him and the more we spend time together, just like a marriage - I will be more secure and free to exercise the authority of a wife. But like in a marriage, I must continue working on it, not expect to get to a victory point and then - "we have the best marriage, and I'm going off to act as your wife but I don't plan on spending more time with You. Marriage is until death do you part. Until I die from this earth, I want to serve my Eternal Husband, and act like I belong to Him. 

 If I may just have the belief that my faith is even as small as a mustard seed, and that instead of crying out and whining "why," I step out in authority and power of the Holy Spirit. 

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. – John 3:16 



No comments:

Post a Comment